[blfs-dev] GNOME 3 Update.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 19 12:27:00 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 07:47:17PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:17:14AM -0500, Armin K. wrote:
> > ATK optionally depends on gobject-introspection to build it's bindings.
> >
> > Same for clutter and GConf.
> >

>  Noted
 On looking further, yes it's valid for all of them, but Andy
improved the gtk3 text the other day to point out that if you want
to build GNOME you will need to install gobject-introspection before
atk, pango, and gdk-pixbuf.  I'll add it to atk as optional, the
same as we show for pango.

 But for clutter we require atk, and for GConf we recommend gtk+-3.
So, the dependency is implicit for those packages.  We can't list
every possible dependency, only those not pulled in by a required or
recommended dependency.  Otherwise, every package will look like
gnome-shell.

 I've noticed some amount of "list every dep" in the gnome packages:
sometimes I've managed to prune things, other times I've not thought
it worth spending the time (at that point) to check what is implied
by other dependencies.

 I'm aware of extraneous gstreamer dependencies (the base plugins
require gstreamer, so anything showing both can be pruned), I'll do
those after everything is in.  Beyond that, removing excessive
dependency lists will be 'as and when' - often it needs a lot of
checking to confirm that something is required or recommended for an
earlier package.

 Looking at gnome-shell, since I mentioned it, intltool must be
superfluous (needed in building xorg - I can't see gnome being any
use without that), gtk+-3 is recommended for GCOnf and probably
required by many of these packages, and now I note PulseAudio - that
implies the gnome-pulseaudio page [which says pulse is needed but not
a direct dependency] can go.  After all, you can't run a gnome
desktop without gnome-shell. So, still a lot of pruning to do.

ĸen