[blfs-dev] GNOME 3 Update.

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sun Feb 19 07:17:14 PST 2012

I saw recently a mail that gnome core packages are done. Here are some updates for it.

In gtk+3 instructions, gnome-themes-standard still links to upstream package.

caribou is missing link to pyatspi2.

I am not sure about version of VALA in the book, but version in gnome 3.0 requires --enable-vapigen to build vapigen which is required by folks and telepathy-glib.

ATK optionally depends on gobject-introspection to build it's bindings.

Same for clutter and GConf.

Missing short descriptions of installed files: gjs, libpeas, seed, liboauth, p11kit, gnome-accounts, NetworkManager, mutter, gnome-shell, network-manager-applet, gnome-contacts, clutter-gst, sushi, at-spi2-core, aisleriot

glib-networking requires --libexecdir parameter to, eg $GNOME_PREFIX/lib/glib-networking if compiling with libproxy support (glib-pacrunner resides there)

libgsf hasn't still being upgraded. New versions don't build gconf data, nor -gnome library.

I am not sure what is packagekit doing in the book. Gnome 3.2 can build just fine without it. Yet there isn't any package manager in LFS/BLFS. Maybe few packages require --disable-packagekit for not to call it later.

gnome-menus doesn't really require --sysconfdir.

libnullbackend in polkit requires description. Aditionaly, if using Linux PAM authentification with polkit, new pam file is required. In fact, just include system stuff for password, account, auth and session there.

libpolkit-gtk-1 isn't installed anymore by polkit-gnome.

I think that evolution-data-server's libexec dir should be $GNOME_PREFIX/lib/evolution-data-server to avoid creating 2 dirs for one package there. ($GNOME_PREFIX/lib/evolution-data-server is already present)

telepathy-glib isn't optional nor required dependency of nautilus-sendto.

gnome-screensaver instructions are wrong. There are no screensavers in it. It just serves as locking program in gnome3. Speaking there, it can't use xscreensaver.

Now, regarding gnome session, there is

cat >> ~/.xinitrc << "EOF"
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session
EOF

Yet, ck-launch-session is part of consolekit and it isn't even listed as any kind of dependency.
Secondly, ConsoleKit starting from 0.4.2 has some kind of bug which prevents it from working correctly. Even if you launch gnome-session with ck-launch-session, you won't still have same privileges, as for mounting devices with gvfs stuff, etc ... Yet gdm, kdm and lightdm know how to handle consolekit nicely.

network-manager-applet has optional dependency on gnome-bluetooth.

I would recommend using --libexecdir=/usr/lib/telepathy for all telepathy packages hence avoid creating /usr/lib/telepathy-{glib,mission-control,logger,salut} etc ...

The ln -s stuff is wrong for gnome-settings-daemon in gdm instructions. Yet that is a bit ugly. Most major distros patch 3 or 4 files to look in their standard locations, thus avoid creating symlinks.

gnome-applets definitely don't require hal in any means.

also, I doubt that gtk3 applets require pygtk2 for some applet.