[blfs-dev] gtkmm2 and gtkmm3 (gtkmm-2.24.2 and gtkmm-3.3.14)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 18 17:21:19 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:07:04PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:59:07AM -0800, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> >
> > I intend to build the smallest that I can subset of gnome-3, just to get gnucash working, but not today or tomorrow. If it proves to need too many packages or too difficult, I will stick to gnome-2 (probably 2.30.2), as I do not need gnome, and do it just for that package. I have not yet started, though.
> >
>  Interesting.  You are the only person who has mentioned using
> gnucash in recent years.  As I maybe said the other day, I tried it
> once but couldn't get my head around double-entry bookkeeping and
> found the package too hard to use as a result.  Its page in the book
> has had no love (not even a built-with-lfs-6.5 tag), and I think the
> version is very old.
>
>  So, I recommend you try the current version (2.4.10) - this is
> definitely a gtk+-2 program - and before you try to build anything
> for it, read the configure script.

 In the end, I took a look because I'd like to get rid of
libgnomeprint{,ui} from the book: nasty, nasty, nasty - they support
guile-1.6 and 1.8, but not 2.0 during this release (because they
would have to drop 1.6 support).  Looking around, fedora have
patches for this (9 for guile-2.0, from the gnucash list, a source
file (engine-common.i), a 2.4.9-never-unload patch (these are all in
gnucash-2.4.9-1.fc16 : I still can never manage to connect to
fedora gitweb to look online), and a patch to stop it disabling
icons when BUILDING_FROM_SVN is defined (dunno what that is about,
but if it works for them...).  Also a 2.4.8 header fix that has
already been applied to 2.4.10.

 So, apply the patches, cp engine-common.i src/engine,
find src/quotes -name "*.in" -exec sed -i "s|use lib '@-PERLINCL-@';||g" {} \;

autoreconf
export BUILDING_FROM_SVN=yes
./configure --prefix=/usr

 So far, I've confirmed that SLIB appears to not be needed with the
patches (just as well, latest version apparently doesn't work with
guile-2.0), but swig is required [ swig.org - I got 2.0.4, looks as
if it would like to use boost (fat chance!) but builds ok without
it.

 Then, it needs --disable-dbi because dbi/dbi.h is not present :
supposedly from libdbi0 ?

 After that, it went pear-shaped in gnome-2 fashion : it needs
libgnome, libglade, libgoffice, libgtkhtml (>= 3.16.0) [ or webkit
built with gtk+-2 ] and perhaps gnome-keyring-1.pc (not sure if
required).  This was on my gnome system where I don't have any of
that except libgoffice.  If I have time/interest, I'll try to build
it on the other machine where I've got libgnome.  But, since I
failed to understand how to use it last time I built it...

ĸen