[blfs-dev] Git-1.7.9 issues

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:03:07 PST 2012

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:50:51 +0200
Thanos Baloukas <baloukasthan at sch.gr> wrote:

> Hello everybody
> I just subscribed on this list. I hope I can help.
>
> The book states python-2.7.2 as required dependency. I'm not sure if the
> INSTALL source tree's file is up to date, but it says nothing about
> python. Except zlib that is in LFS, it states ssh, Perl, openssl,
> libcurl, expat, Tcl/Tk and gettext as dependencies. I also looked on the
> web and found python as optional for various helper scripts.

Have you tried installing it without python installed? The build fails
like this:
    SUBDIR git_remote_helpers
make[1]: /usr/bin/python: Command not found
make[1]: *** [all] Error 127
make: *** [all] Error 2

> The book has --with-gitconfig=/etc/gitconfig.
> configure --help says:
>
> --with-gitconfig=VALUE    Use VALUE instead of /etc/gitconfig as
>                            the global git configuration file.
>                            If VALUE is not fully qualified it
>                            will be interpreted as a path relative
>                            to the computed prefix at runtime.
>
> In the first paragraph of source tree's Documentation/config.txt says:
>
> The file `/etc/gitconfig` can be used to store a system-wide default
> configuration.
>
> So /etc/gitconfig must be the default.

In my test builds, one of them failed during make install-html with the
error: /usr/etc/gitconfig: No such file or directory

make install-html is not part of the books instructions (that would
require asciidoc) but still, it suggests that there are some bugs to
the way the Makefiles set gitconfig if it is not set explicitly.
Setting it explicitly has no downsides.

> Two possible typos:
> If you want to use git svn you will to install Subversion-1.7.1 and its
> perl bindings.
> To set the location of the SSL certificates for all just the current user:

Thanks, it's hard for me to see those sort of typos. When I read it my
eyes just skim along and see what I think it says.

Andy