[blfs-dev] gtkmm2 and gtkmm3 (gtkmm-2.24.2 and gtkmm-3.3.14)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 16 11:12:14 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:54:20AM -0800, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded gtkmm to 3.2.0 according to BLFS, yesterday. Then, some packages could not be built anymore, complaining about some missing libraries. Comparing the libraries created with the ones mentioned in the book, I noticed important differences. Then I decided to get the latest versions. The following libraries were created:
>
> gtkmm-3.3.14                               |              gtkmm-2.24.2:
> /usr/lib/libgdkmm-3.0.so.1.1.0       |              /usr/lib/libgdkmm-2.4.so.1.1.0
> /usr/lib/libgdkmm-3.0.so.1             |              /usr/lib/libgdkmm-2.4.so.1
> /usr/lib/libgdkmm-3.0.so                |              /usr/lib/libgdkmm-2.4.so
> /usr/lib/libgdkmm-3.0.la                 |              /usr/lib/libgdkmm-2.4.la
>
> It seems that there is a one to one correspondencence between gtk+ and gtkmm, so, is it plausible that both versions should go in the book?

 3.3.14 is 'latest' in the same way linux-3.3-rc3 is the latest
kernel - it's a development version.  Ditto 2.25 which you mentioned
earlier.

 More importantly - which packages *in the book* can't be built ?

 There is nothing to stop you having both versions to suit the
packages you build, and if the book's need is *proved* then we'll
have to go with -3 and -2 versions of gtkmm (if we can't solve it by
upgrading the other package).

 NB if you are building gnome-3, you should still be referring to
Wayne's book.  By all means *compare* it to what is in BLFS, but
there are at least 20 gnome packages which still need to be updated
(as well as more new packages still to be added), and at least 25
packages which will be retired.

ĸen