[blfs-dev] LVM2 bootscript

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 19:38:07 PST 2012

Qrux wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2012, at 4:41 PM, DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> On 02/14/2012 06:08 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>> What do you think of adding a line to the start of the start code of
>>> checkfs:
>>>
>>> if [ -x /usr/sbin/vgchange ]; then
>>>    /usr/sbin/vgchange -a y>/dev/null
>>> fi
>> I can only suggest from both a standards perspective and, more
>> importantly in this particular case (with the suggested future
>> flattening of /usr/{lib,bin}), from a rescue perspective, that vgchange
>> be moved to /sbin and any dependent libs moved to /lib. It would seem
>> logical to me that /usr be stored on LVM with a small traditional root
>> partition, along with /home and /var, if you elected not to do the whole
>> thing (which would require vgchange in the initrd anyway). The same
>> thing applies for anything in /usr that is required to mount the logical
>> partitions.
>
> LOL--guess I was writing my response while DJ sent his.
>
> And, I think I said /bin instead of /sbin, but I'm sure you knew what I meant.

We can probably make that move.  pv* and lv* are all symlinks to 'lvm'.
  The only non-/lib library is /usr/lib/libdevmapper.so and that's part
of the lvm2 package.

lvm2 is a RH package and they want to put everything in /usr.  If I do:

  ./configure --sbindir=/sbin --libdir=/lib --enable-pkgconfig

Everything seems to be put in the right place except in /usr/lib
   libdevmapper.so -> ../../lib/libdevmapper.so.1.02

Actually, I think that's the correct place as the .so file is only used
by gcc for linking, not running.  The only other issue might be the .pc
file that has:

Libs: -L${libdir} -ldevmapper

But that probably doesn't matter either because /usr/lib is
automatically searched (unless specifically suppressed).

---

I don't think there are any "standards" about what goes into each
script.  It's just what is logical to combine.  checkfs is just the
first script that makes any sense.  We have udev, swap, and then
checkfs.  udev has to go first and swap doesn't make sense to me.