[blfs-dev] Why is my message to this list being blocked?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 12 09:01:01 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 01:02:52AM +0100, Armin K. wrote:
> On 02/11/2012 11:55 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:

> Yet libsoup depends on glib-networking and that one isn't even in
> the book. See for yourself:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/libsoup.html

 Actually, I'm familiar with what is in the book - I put it there
the other day, but I haven't fixed up the link yet.  If you look in
the archives for this list (January) or -support you'll see that I'm
replacing links by plain text when the target isn't in the book.
There are more than 190 files mentioned in my list of changes (a few
were trivial changes, and not all were real packages) - the
important thing is to keep the book rendering after each commit.

 At the moment, there might be some of these for old python modules.
If so, that means I haven't updated the package (the old modules are
gone). For the new stuff, there are currently some of these plain
text markers awaiting on pyatspi, libpeas, seed,
gnome-online-accounts, and gsettings-desktop-schemas.  I'm sure
there will be more as I add more packages.

> Nah, gnome-media isn't yet ready for gnome 3 ... There is gtk+ 3
> version only in git iirc. gnome-control-center provides volume
> applet and configuration through itself.

 Ah, gnome-control-center.  Thanks.

> I see that many packages have --localstatedir=/var/lib ... Well,
> since scrollkeeper is old and not used anymore, that is wrong.
> Correct database path is now /var/lib/rarian, and it will get
> correctly installed if --localstatedir path is only /var ... Also,
> if you specify --disable-scrollkeeper, it won't do anything there.

 For some, where it jumped out at me, I had already checked and
removed it if I couldn't see any files.  For others, until yesterday
I let them go through.  After your earlier comments I'm now
stripping the scrollkeeper stuff when I spot it.

> Also, I don't know why many packages still use --prefix=$(pkg-config
> --variable=prefix ORBit-2.0) ... ORBit2 isn't even required for
> gnome 3.

 We have:

(a) deprecated packages - those which, until at least December, we
mentioned for gnumeric / abiword.  I asked Wayne to keep these in
the book.  Ditto gnome-media, which had minimal extra dependencies
for me, and continued to work in a non-pulse system.

 Since then, I've proved that for *my* use I'm better without them
(no change in functions or ui, and the application links to fewer
libraries). I'm NOT sure if that is true for everyone: some of the
very-old gnome stuff, where there is a conflict between the versions
for abiword and gnumeric, is of no interest to me, nor is gnucash
(built it once, for BLFS-6.3 I think, but couldn't get my head around
double-entry book-keeping).

 For these deprecated packages, also gnome-media [ I moved that into
the audio packages ] there are warnings, and indications that they
are going to come out of the book - I don't like just dropping whole
swathes of packages that have been useful, or apparently useful,
without giving people time to sort out what (if anything) should
replace them.

(b) packages which were in gnome-2.30, that I haven't yet updated.

> Now, there is GNOME_SYSCONFDIR variable, but also all packages
> explicitly define --sysconfdir=/etc/gnome/3.2.2

 I just went with what Wayne had - the references in
pre-install-config seemed consistent.

> --infodir isn't really needed for libgtop, since I don't even
> remember any gnome package installing .info files.

 Thanks, noted.

> Neither --mandir is required in any of gnome packages since man
> pages are always installed in /usr/share/man

 For those which I have built, I agree they go into
${PREFIX}/share/man.  I've removed mandir when committing them.
I've also got a note to review this after I've managed to build all
of them (i.e. first I update the book, now that I've got a working
non-accelerated desktop, then I go back and build PAM, then gdm, and
after that I'll do all the other packages.  Is it written anywhere
in tablets of stone that all gnome packages now use
${PREFIX}/share/man ?

 In the distant past, some packages (I don't even know if any were
actually part of gnome) used to write to ${PREFIX}/man - on LFS,
we've always had a symlink for that, but some people thought it was
important to override the defaults of those packages.  That's where
we picked that up, and like a distro we carry it forward.

> libgweather could use --enable-locations-compression to compress
> location files to save some space.

 Noted, thanks

> --libexecdir isn't required for control center.

 Agreed, I seem to have missed that one.
> libcanberra configure script mentions not to use oss where alsa is
> present. --disable-oss is recommended.

 Noted, thanks

> gstreamer base plugins have no need for ffmpeg.

 Seems reasonable, but as I said, understanding the gst configure
scripts is hard - probalby, too much boilerplate for some of the
variables.

> eog is missing link to libpeas.
>
> epiphany is missing link to seed.
> http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/seed/ this is correct link
> by the way.

 See the beginning of this reply

> You can add link to book's network manager in gnome panel.

 Thanks, I already fixed one link to NM somewhere
> NetworkManager patch is a mess. It even creates some .c.orig files
> and yet so hard to read.

 Blame me for the .orig files.  I'll take a look somewhen - that
should make it a bit smaller.  If you ignore the bogus .orig files,
it's no harder to read than any other patch that affects the
autotools files.
> gdm doesn't ship gdm-{start,stop,restart,safe-restart} anymore

 Thanks
> gnome mime data isn't really required for gnome 3.2 ...

 If nothing references it, I'll remove it at the end.  It's on my
list of things to question.

> There are gnome-applets for gnome 3 too ... Why are they in old
> desktop category?

 Depending what time you asked this, they probably weren't - I
merged 3.2.1 last night, they're now in the libraries in the
Additional packages.
> libgnomecups, libgnomeprint, liboobs and system tools backends
> aren't required for gnome3. Yet you can move them into deprecated
> gnome packages

 No, see above - deprecated is for a small subset of packages.  The
remainder of hte old packages will be removed, mostly AFTER I've
updated newer versions and added the new packages.

> totem-pl-parser can use libquvi for link parsing.

 Noted

> gnome-accessibility doesn't apply for gnome3 ...
>
> Yet there are only at-spi2-atk, at-spi2-core, and orca iirc.

 Yeah, I'm doing core/ at the moment (it's the order I created the
diffs in) - that includes moving things from core/ to add/, and vice
versa.  The packages that have always been in add/, or are new and
in add/, will be done later.

 Thanks.  I'm starting to believe that perhaps some people will use
some of this ;)

ĸen