[blfs-dev] Why is my message to this list being blocked?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 11 14:55:45 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:23:42PM +0100, Armin K. wrote:
> On 11.2.2012 18:52, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >   fcron works for me - what do you get from cronie that isn't
> > available from fcron ?
>
> Well, I like it's PAM and SELinux support.

 Hmm.  We don't do SELinux.

> >   Interesting.  I had been going to suggest (if I didn't already),
> > half in jest, that libproxy could be dropped from the book since it
> > is no longer required by the gnome packages and now uses that
> > unpleasant replacement for configure.  Do you use it ?
>
> I think glib-networking is only app that uses it now. (previously libsoup)

 But it's only optional there - at one time it was *required* for
libsoup, and I believe that's why it went into the book.

> Yet there are not apps in book that use it, but there are apps that use
> it! For example, pulseaudio programs - pavucontrol and paprefs.

 /me bites my tongue about a certain developers apps.  Perhaps they
will have moved to the new versions by the time I look at them.

> PulseAudio is a mess, I agree. But yet gnome 3 requires it to build and
> even gnome mixer requires it to function. But for pulseaudio to work
> properly I install alsa plugins package and create ~/.asoundrc or
> /etc/asounrc to route all sound to pulseaudio.

 Is that the mixer from gnome-media, or a different one ?  I know
there is a working volume control in gnome-3, using pulse, but I've
never managed to work out which package provides it.

 Thanks for the comment on alsa-plugins - I haven't installed that
for years - maybe that is why creating ~/.asoundrc didn't help when
I tried to use pulse as an afterthought on top of a completed
system.

> > ĸen, wishing he hadn't volunteered to be the gnome-3 monkey ;)
>
> I've sucessfully built gnome 3.0, 3.2 and I am on my way building 3.4
> (dev version). If I can help somehow, just say it!

 Review of the updated packages, particularly the configure switches
(Wayne has a lot of --sysconfdir, --libexecdir, --localstatedir,
--mandir which are fine things to use when building for the first
time, but shouldn't be in the book if they serve no purpose) is
always useful.  Also, if you notice anything else that is wrong.

ĸen