[blfs-dev] Package statistics

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 11 12:14:00 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:01:36AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 09:34:29PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> >> Ken,
> >>    brasero, eog, and empathy do not have size/space/time data.
> >>

> >  AFAIK, everything has an md5sum.  Would it help if I ensured there
> > was a download size ?
>
> Yes.
 Done - I thought I had been doing this, but I missed eog and
empathy.  Sorry.  Personally, I blame the hassle of moving packages
in the wiki while I'm waiting for the book to render (I need
*how_many* tabs open??), but that's an excuse :-)

 I've also added comments in the gnome pre-install section warning
people that instructions for packages with '??', or indeed, without
an LFS-7.0 tag, may need to be treated as w-i-p.

 Yes, the '??' also applies to exempi which is outside the gnome
part of the book, but if you build it, it should be because you
found it as a dependency from a gnome package.

> >  I'm taking the view that (having built enough of gnome to get a
> > workable desktop) the important thing is to get the packages and
> > instructions (even though some of the instructions/dependencies may
> > be slightly obsolete for current gnome-3.2).
>
> I don't have a problem with slightly out of date packages.
>
>    -- Bruce
 For the main part of gnome, it's not so much slightly out of date
*packages* as slightly out of date *instructions*.  A lot of this
looks like Wayne has had it in preparation since gnome-3.0, and
package contents and dependencies have occasionally changed.

ĸen
answer: 5 tabs to make it easy - one for the book, 4 for the wiki