[blfs-dev] Why is my message to this list being blocked?

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 06:53:35 PST 2012

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 15:15:00 +0100
"Armin K." <krejzi at email.com> wrote:

> Now I tried again, but failed with same message from mail system. Here
> is original mail:

> Hello there. I have noticed lot of commits to blfs book lately. Good
> job team, just keep it going! I wish I could help.
>
> Yet, I am unable to change anything directly, but here are few notes
> that I've noticed when compiling some of packages.
>
> Please, don't attack me with "Why must that be so in the book" or
> something like that. I just put this here as a reference.
>
> I know what are you guys like. You like minimal stuff and so, but yet
> not everyone is like you and not everyone is skilled enough to find
> everything he needs for something.
>
> So, let's start from the beginning of the book:
>
> Linux PAM can use libtirpc if someone wants to enable NIS support.

I install PAM but I don't use NIS so I've never installed libtirpc. I
can check this out and update the PAM dependencies in a day or 2

> polkit does not require seperate user anymore as noted on
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/polkit.html
>
> If you look at NEWS file in polkit source dir, you can notice this one:
>
> Changes since PolicyKit 0.94:
>
> David Zeuthen (20):
>       Remove POLKIT_USER from configuration summary
>
> Michael Biebl (8):
>       Remove POLKIT_USER option
>
> NOTE: This is just stripped output.
>

> Old PolicyKit on
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/policykit.html is
> dead for some time and it has became polkit, it can be safely removed
> from the book.

I don't install

> User notes on
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/mdadm.html point
> to http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/xfs Is this correct?

I can fix that now.

> The glib 2.30 compile will fail if dbus is not installed. (Though it's
> only on gdbus tests iirc)

Yes, dbus should be listed as an optional dependency to run the tests.
I'll fix that now.

> colord can use libsane. You can list it as optional.
>

> ScrollKeeper from
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/scrollkeeper.html
> isn't used anymore. Rarian package provides compatibility for it. It
> can be removed.

I agree, can we remove scrollkeeper please?

> Besides fcron, you could add cronie from
> https://fedorahosted.org/cronie/ which is in fact based on original
> vixie cron but with some enhancments.
>

> DBus GObject Bindings from
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/dbus-bindings.html#eggdbus
> aren't used nor developed anymore. They can be safely removed.

Good.

> I note hal is still there, but yet many of software has been ported
> from hal to gio/gvfs/gudev. Only package that I know that may use it is
> gnome-vfs and yet hal is optional there.

I've never used HAL and would also like to see it removed from the book.

> UPower can also use libimobiledevice. You can add it as optional with
> an external link to their site.
>

> gvfs 1.10 can also use libimobiledevice and libbluray libraries. You
> can add them as optional.
>

> If you install python3.2 from
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/python3.html
> first, you won't get /usr/bin/python, but /usr/bin/python3 ... Symlinks
> can be made for it to be default.
>

> Samba 3.6 will also fail to compile without libtirpc if using glibc
> 2.14 or 2.15 ...
>

> Avahi 0.6.28 (Why 0.28 when there is 0.6.30?) program avahi-autoipd
> also requires seperate user avahi-autoipd with home
> dir /var/lib/avahi-autoipd.
>

> In libproxy 0.4.7 WebKit 1.0 library is required, not 3.0, so it would
> be nice if mentioned.
>

> As for Samba and Linux PAM, xinetd will also fail to compile using
> glibc 2.14 or 2.15. Explicitly linking libtirpc with LDFLAGS=-ltirpc
> solved that problem for me.
>

> gtkmm has been updated to 3.x version, but same as for gtk 2.0 and gtk
> 3.0, there may be need for gtkmm 3.0 and gtkmm 2.0 libraries which
> don't conflict with each other.
>

> Same for libwnck.
>

> KDE4 section is a mess. Yet even required dependencies don't have links
> to the packages in book.
>

> Yet gnome pre installation configuration list
> GNOME_SYSCONFDIR=/etc/gnome/3.2.2 even tough many packages have files
> that should go into /etc (Yet every sane distribution and person list
> only sysconfdir as /etc for every gnome package)
>

> gstreamer bad plugins list kdebase dependency for kate, but yet there
> is standalone libkate on http://code.google.com/p/libkate/ that doesn't
> require bunch of qt3 stuff.
>

> libdvdread 0.9.7 can't be used with gstreamer ugly plugins. Newer
> version is required.

Download link for newer version? I can only find an svn download from
Mplayer

> PulseAudio can also optionally use libasyncns and fftw
>

> CUPS can use Avahi's libdns-sd compatibility library for DNS-SD
> support. Note, there are also CUPS-AVAHI patches that link against
> avahi libraries.

Lots of interesting stuff there. Thanks for being persistent about
sending it.

Andy