[blfs-dev] New page

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:12:11 PST 2012

Ken Moffat wrote:

>  What surprised me is that /etc/mdadm.conf isn't mentioned.  I
> thought I had to create this (either manually, or by running some
> command - I forget which), and without it the kernel cannot assemble
> the array(s) ?

It's optional.  There are ways to monitor an array using mdmon, but I
haven't used it.  If the partition types are RAID Auto (fd), then the
kernel will read the metadata from partitions without the .conf file
(format 0.9 only).   I think the .conf file is only needed if the
partition is not marked or advanced features are desired.

When I look at the mdadm man page, it is 1766 lines long.    One thing I
see there is:

  echo 'DEVICE /dev/hd*[0-9] /dev/sd*[0-9]' > mdadm.conf
  mdadm --detail --scan >> mdadm.conf

  This  will  create  a  prototype  config file that describes currently
  active arrays that are  known to be made from partitions of IDE or SCSI
  drives.  This file should be reviewed  before being used as it may
  contain unwanted detail.