[blfs-dev] UTF-8 man pages - isn't removing them bogus ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 8 16:31:15 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 05:32:37PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >  Looking at x7driver.html, I notice a humungous sed which ostensibly
> > recodes some driver pages (for evdev, ati, fbdev, glint, newport) so
> > that they are no longer in UTF-8 and can be displayed correctly by
> > man-db.  AFAIK, man-db is all about displaying manpages in both
> > UTF-8 and legacy encodings.  I only install evdev and ati, but man 4
> > {evdev,ati,radeon} work perfectly in both rxvt-unicode and the
> > console - without this messing around.
> >
> >  Am I missing something ?  Are the people using legacy encodings
> > really going to have problems if we drop this ?
>
> I think this is something that Alexander used to get real excited about
> when using Russian encoding.  I don't know if the seds are still
> important or not.  What happens if you don't use them?
>
>    -- Bruce

 Well, I don't use them and I'm in a UTF-8 locale.  If I try
LC_ALL=en_GB then the bullets in 'radeon' aren't in my console font
(although they are rendered ok in en_GB.UTF-8).  Evdev and ati look
ok either way.

 I recall correspondence on an LFS issue with the man-db maintainer
which persuaded me that it was indeed the way to go, and able in
current versions to render more widely than what LFS said at that
time.  I suppose that was 3 or more years ago.

 My system is built for UTF-8, so I can't render the ru.KOI8-R
manpages (from vim), only the ru.UTF-8.  But the issue, if any, is
more for people using non-UTF-8 locales with e.g. English.

ĸen