[blfs-dev] UTF-8 man pages - isn't removing them bogus ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 8 14:59:38 PST 2012

 Looking at x7driver.html, I notice a humungous sed which ostensibly
recodes some driver pages (for evdev, ati, fbdev, glint, newport) so
that they are no longer in UTF-8 and can be displayed correctly by
man-db.  AFAIK, man-db is all about displaying manpages in both
UTF-8 and legacy encodings.  I only install evdev and ati, but man 4
{evdev,ati,radeon} work perfectly in both rxvt-unicode and the
console - without this messing around.

 Am I missing something ?  Are the people using legacy encodings
really going to have problems if we drop this ?

ĸen