[blfs-dev] qemu-kvm

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 15:17:38 PST 2012

Qrux wrote:

> As for files; a find before- and after-install gives a listing of
> over 800 files that Xen installs.  ~450 of these are python files it
> installs as part of the core suite, including management tools.
> Another 200 or so are support files in /usr/share.  It's a large,
> complex thing, and it won't be constructive to list them out.
>
> I think it's best to list individual files in directories that live
> in common system directories (e.g., /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /etc).
>
> Then, list directories that contain only Xen stuff and just give a
> synopsis of what's in those (e.g.,
> /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xen -- which contains ~450 files of
> Xen-specific stuff).  I'll try to get a handle on that.

I don't know if Xen handles it, but I usually do something like

   make DESTDIR=/tmp/xen install

That lets me look at exactly what is installed.  I agree with your
analysis about the python files.  Generally we list the executables and
the libraries, but if the number is large, just list the major ones and
a summary of the others.

>> I'm not sure what Dev86 is.  I suspect some sort of development
>> tools for x86 HW, but I haven't seen it before.
>
> Dev86 is a toolchain for building 8086 executables.  Which, AFAICT,
> is necessary to build a bios emulation layer (among other things,
> like PXE boot).  I've actually been able to build (via CBLFS:
>
> http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Dev86
>
> and hacking Makefiles because the current version is newer than the
> one in CBLFS) Dev86--although, there's no test suite that I know, so
> assurances are slim.  There are quite a few other optional
> dependencies, and I'll try to sort through those, too.

That sounds good.  As a note, we prefer using sed's to patches when
reasonable.  Looking at the patches on CBLFS, the x86_64 patch is not
needed for BLFS and the noelks patch would be better as a sed:

sed -i -e "s/elksemu//" -e "s/install-emu//" makefile.in