[blfs-dev] qemu-kvm

Qrux qrux.qed at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 14:09:29 PST 2012

On Feb 1, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Qrux wrote:
>>
>> I added a BLFS-style markdown page:
>>
>> https://github.com/qrux/xlapp/blob/master/README-blfs.md
>
> What you have is a pretty good start.  I can take that and move it into
> docbook form pretty quickly, but not soon.

No rush.  In fact, I need more time to finalize this build, anyway.  See below about lots of "cruft".

> A separate page for "Running Xen" would be fine.  We still need to know
> what executables, libraries, and directories it installs.  We also need
> an explanation of the non-standard commands (e.g. mv check_x11_devel NOUSE)

I've added an explanation for that command.

As for files; a find before- and after-install gives a listing of over 800 files that Xen installs.  ~450 of these are python files it installs as part of the core suite, including management tools.  Another 200 or so are support files in /usr/share.  It's a large, complex thing, and it won't be constructive to list them out.

I think it's best to list individual files in directories that live in common system directories (e.g., /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /etc).

Then, list directories that contain only Xen stuff and just give a synopsis of what's in those (e.g., /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xen -- which contains ~450 files of Xen-specific stuff).  I'll try to get a handle on that.

> I'm not sure what Dev86 is.  I suspect some sort of development tools
> for x86 HW, but I haven't seen it before.

Dev86 is a toolchain for building 8086 executables.  Which, AFAICT, is necessary to build a bios emulation layer (among other things, like PXE boot).  I've actually been able to build (via CBLFS:

	http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Dev86

and hacking Makefiles because the current version is newer than the one in CBLFS) Dev86--although, there's no test suite that I know, so assurances are slim.  There are quite a few other optional dependencies, and I'll try to sort through those, too.