[blfs-dev] [blfs-book] r9264 - trunk/BOOK/postlfs/security

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:31:20 PST 2012

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 15:19:37 -0600
Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> andy at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> > Author: andy

> > +    Network Information Service/Yellow Pages support in pam_unix and pam_access
> > +    as the needed headers files are no longer installed by glibc.</para>
>
> Andy is this true?  LFS-7.0 has an errata that shows how to install the
> headers and LFS-svn does it in the book.  I'm not sure about libraries
> though.
>
> I admit that few users use nis any more and if the capability is needed
> at all, then the use of ldap is preferred.

I may have been a bit hasty, I was not aware that the book now had
instructions to copy the rpc headers by hand. I'll (or you can) revert
the change if you want, but I think that we should install linux-PAM
with --disable-nis because the functionality it depends on is
deprecated in glibc so we can't rely on it being available in the
future. Plus, as you say, few users use nis any more.
I just think it's simpler this way.

Andy