[blfs-dev] Firefox and xulrunner

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 29 10:24:53 PDT 2012

 When xulrunner first appeared, my memory tells me that it was quite
a bit quicker to build only firefox, instead of building xulrunner
and then linking firefox to it.  Of course, the instructions were
quite different in those days.  With our current instructions,
building xulrunner first is both quicker and uses less space
(measured on 14.0.1, I haven't built 15.0 yet).

 How would people feel about making xulrunner a recommended dep of
firefox, and removing the instructions for how to build it on its
own - this would make the page rather shorter, and would
significantly reduce the amount of testing / measuring needed at
each upgrade ?

 We could, perhaps, explain that xulrunner is now recommended
because it gives a smaller and wuicker build.

ĸen