[blfs-dev] [blfs-book] r10486 - in trunk/BOOK: . archive gnome/core introduction/welcome multimedia/libdriv multimedia/videoutils networking/netprogs postlfs/security pst/printing pst/scanning server/databases server/mail server/major server/other xsoft/other

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Fri Aug 24 21:22:32 PDT 2012

On 25.8.2012 6:12, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> krejzi at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>> Author: krejzi
>> Date: 2012-08-01 06:04:22 -0600 (Wed, 01 Aug 2012)
>> New Revision: 10486
>>
>> Added:
>>      trunk/BOOK/archive/tcpwrappers.xml
>> Removed:
>>      trunk/BOOK/postlfs/security/tcpwrappers.xml
>
> Armin,
>
> I just noticed this.
>
> Why did you remove tcpwrappers?  I recall saying I don't like it or use
> it, but some other programs do use it.  It's mentioned in sendmail,
> nfs-utils, vsftpd, and exim as well as xinetd which I'm restoring.
>
> I think it's a legitimate optional dependency.  It builds OK in 7.2.
>
>     -- Bruce

I think we had a discussion on this one. Package is old and
unmaintained. Netfilter and friends provide everything and even more
that tcpwrappers provided. I guess wrappers were more "firewall stuff"
and since it was optional (and not required for anything), I removed it.
I can bring it back if you like, but remember, it's just used for
allowing or denying access to some services (via network) == firewalling.