[blfs-dev] GNOME Update Plan and New GNOME Order.

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Fri Aug 24 16:39:43 PDT 2012

Hi. I just took a time to make an order for GNOME packages in the book.

I propose order like this

30. GNOME Core

Introduction

1. Platform

dbus-python
desktop-file-utils
shared-mime-info
accountsservice
polkit-gnome
gnome-doc-utils
yelp-xsl
libgnome-keyring
libsecret (new package)
gsettings-desktop-schemas
dconf
gconf
gcr
gnome-js-common
gjs
seed
libpeas
libgee
libgweather
libwnck
libgnomekbd
libgtop
libwacom
gnome-online-accounts
evolution-data-server
folks
gtksourceview
gtkhtml
totem-pl-parser
vte

2. Desktop

gnome-backgrounds
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-icon-theme-extras
gnome-icon-theme-symbolic
gnome-themes-standard
gnome-video-effects
gnome-desktop
gnome-keyring
gnome-menus
gnome-panel
gvfs (move it from genutils)
nautilus
nautilus-sendto
gnome-screensaver
gnome-power-manager
gnome-bluetooth
gnome-user-share
gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-control-center
gnome-applets
gnome-terminal
zenity
metacity
network-manager-applet
caribou
mutter
gnome-shell
gnome-session
gnome-user-docs
yelp

Starting GNOME (split from gnome-session)

3. System Services

gdm

31. GNOME Applications

aisleriot
alacarte
brasero
cheese
empathy
eog
epiphany
epiphany-extensions
evince
evolution
file-roller
gcalctool
gedit
gnome-color-manager
gnome-contacts
gnome-dictionary
gnome-disk-utility
gnome-games
gnome-nettool
gnome-screenshot
gnome-search-tool
gnome-system-log
gnome-system-monitor
gnome-tweak-tool
gucharmap
orca
seahorse
sound-juicer
totem
vinagre
vino

Further GNOME Applications (list them here, with external links).

I have built only 2 or 3 packages, but looking at current deps, I guess
this should do it. I'll change anything if necesary.

I would like to remove the following packages from the book:

accerciser
anjuta
baobab
cantarell-fonts
celt051
devhelp
gdl
gdlmm
geocode-glib
ghex
glade
gnome-documents
gnome-devel-docs
gnome-font-viewer
gssdp
gtksourceviewmm
gupnp
gupnp-av
gupnp-dlna
gupnp-vala
ipython (python module)
libchamplain
libgda
libgxps
libosinfo
libvirt
libvirt-glib
mobile-broadband-provider-info
nemiver
rygel
spice-gtk
sushi
tracker
yelp-tools

If anyone has any obligations about any of the packages listed, please
say so.

The following packages need to be added in the book:

harfbuzz (new Pango dep)
libsecret (now part of GNOME, used by many apps)
libmusicbrainz5 (new api, used by several packages)
maybe grilo and grilo-plugins (for Totem)
maybe libzapojit (I guess it is for gnome-online-accounts)

I would also like to move some of the packages from certain sections
which include:

accountsservice (from Security to GNOME chapter)
at-spi2 packages from GNOME section (needs discussion)
gvfs (from General Utilities to GNOME chapter)

The at-spi2-core and at-spi2-atk packages are now hard dependency for
GTK+3 package. I am unsure where to put them. Does anyone have any
suggestion?

And at last, these packages will need to get upgraded (mostly major
versions):

at-spi2-atk
at-spi2-core
atk
clutter packages
cogl
gdk-pixbuf
glib
glib-networking
gmime
gobject-introspection
gtk+3
gtk-vnc
json-glib
librest
libgdata
libsoup
mx
pango
telepathy packages
vala
webkitgtk

All GNOME packages.
Maybe C++ bindings for ATK/GLib/GTK+/Pango
Anything else that needs upgrade.

I am unsure how many are yet released as stable, but if anyone wants to
take some package that is listed, please say so on time.