[blfs-dev] Xorg Chapter

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Mon Aug 20 16:28:01 PDT 2012

Hey guys, as you may know dj made big upgrade by removing the wget files
and provided instructions to make ones in order to simplify upgrades. He
also included loops as default there with an option to choose a method
how to install package by introducing AS_ROOT var.

There is, however, one small problem.

when running su -c make install, bash -e shell will exit on error
because that command is incorrect - it would try to run "make" as user
"install" ... It should be su -c "make install". I am unsure tough if
"make install" would do any harm if run like that with sudo or without
any prefix command.

I also noticed that "Xorg Libraries" page has still sudo hardcoded at
the end of the loop -> sudo /sbin/ldconfig . Should we use AS_ROOT there
too? It is not really necesary when prefix is /usr, but it is when
prefix is something else than /usr. This will also make bash -e shell
exit on error if sudo is not present, even tough if AS_ROOT is not set
or is set as su -c (which doesn't work very well just yet).

Now regarding MesaLib ...

MesaLib is not part of Xorg release, but it is required and used by Xorg
Server/Drivers specificaly. I don't know if anyone remembers, but there
were two issues on blfs-support list where MesaLib was not installed in
/usr and it break some packages.

There is also another issue which Bruce had with Freeglut tests and
prefix other than /usr.

But since the MesaLib is not part of Xorg Release and it can be used by
different versions, plus it is very well known that GL api hasn't
changed for years, only DRI/Gallium drivers were improved, I suggest we
install MesaLib, libdrm and Freeglut in /usr by default.

Do note, however, that we already symlink GL headers into /usr/include
from $XORG_PREFIX/include and that already makes it "not seperate".

It would also help binary drivers (which assume DRI drivers are
installed in /usr/lib/dri and libGL.so.1 is installed in /usr/lib) to
work flawlessly on BLFS (I know that we don't officially support them,
but we shouldn't break them, either). Symlinks and additional
configuration are needed if prefix is anything else.

I would also like to add here a note about LLVM dep and MesaLib itself.

LLVM may not be heavy dep for MesaLib, but it is dependency by default
unless different instructions are used (I set it to recommended because
there were complaints). LLVM is used by Radeon r300 and r600 gallium
drivers as well as llvmpipe driver, which is gallium swrast - it
outperforms older DRI swrast in most cases.

So in order to satisfy everyone, I'll set it as required if I upgrade
MesaLib. MesaLib 8.1 should've been released at half of August, but it
was delayed, and instead it will be MesaLib 9.0 because it will probably
bring OpenGL 3.1 support. For anyone interested in this, there is a mail
on freedesktop mailing lists.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2012-August/025478.html

For anyone that wants to complain about LLVM being hard dep (yes it is a
pain to build) because you don't use it (intel or nvidia users), feel
free to modify instructions for yourself dropping llvm dependency. (I
put this just for reference in the future).

MesaLib 9.0 should be branched soon (it should've been today acording to
the mail) and I will make necesary preparations. I noticed they migrated
to autotools for most of their stuff, so I guess we would need to modify
patches. I've also enabled some instructions that are now enabled by
default in MesaLib dev, like shared glapi and shared dricore so we could
test if something goes wrong.

Again, if anyone elsee is interested in MesaLib upgrade, please speak. I
will look forwared to bring it as soon as possible in the BOOK (as soon
as it is released maybe) because it holds on new libdrm (because of
nouveau stuff being rewritten in 2.4.34) which also holds new Xorg
drivers - Intel, Radeon and Nouveau ones.

Sorry for the typos, mail got longer than I expected.