[blfs-dev] mysql vs mariadb

Matt Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 20 15:32:29 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 17:18 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Oracle is not playing nice.
>
> http://blog.mariadb.org/disappearing-test-cases/
>
> What do you think about dropping mysql and replacing with mariadb?

I know that a few folks here don't care for running tests, but I
generally prefer to do so unless it causes an explosion of the package's
dependency tree.  Coupled with the fact that they're also dropping the
publicly visible commit logs, that would make it pretty much impossible
for me to figure out if a bug I'm seeing is because of a change they
made instead of a mistake I made.

Moving to MariaDB would be doing our users a favour, in my opinion.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Berkeley DB!

Regards,

Matt.