[blfs-dev] GNOME Support Libs (was: [BLFS Trac] #3521)

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 20 14:17:59 PDT 2012

Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 08/20/12 15:56 CST:
> Sounds like a good plan overall, but for me I don't know which libraries
> go with Gnome.  For instance pango and gtk+ are in the section labelled
> X libraries.  I know these packages are also used outside of Gnome.
> Should there be a separate section, something like Gnome General Purpose
> Libraries?

The concern involves upgrading GLib, GTK+, Pango, etc. to the next series
of development. For instance, GLib is using the 2.32.x series. Moving to
the 2.34.x series could cause breakage to GNOME proper, so we don't do
those updates until GNOME itself is updated.

However, minor point releases of the packages I listed can be updated
without harming GNOME (in almost all cases). The minor point releases
sometimes contain security updates that would be a hassle to backport.
It is easier to just update to the minor point release.

Packages that are strictly used by GNOME proper only can be left alone
and updated when GNOME is updated. I am only talking about packages
used by packages other than GNOME, as Bruce mentioned.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.24] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]