[blfs-dev] [blfs-book] [BLFS Trac] #3521: GMime-2.6.10

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 20 14:13:13 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 03:56:34PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> BLFS Trac wrote:
> > #3521: GMime-2.6.10
> > ----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
> >   Reporter:  randy@…                     |       Owner:  blfs-book@…
> >       Type:  enhancement                 |      Status:  new
> > Component:  BOOK                        |     Version:  SVN
> >   Severity:  normal                      |    Keywords:
> > ----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
> >
> > Comment(by Krejzi):
> >
> >   In GNOME 3.4, not all packages were able to use gmime-2.6, so I decided to
> >   keep 2.4. I'll upgrade it when I upgrade GNOME. Also, I must ask you not
> >   to report for anything that is related from GNOME. I will handle all of
> >   them when I upgrade GNOME. When the time comes, I'll create one single
> >   ticket with all packages that point to release dir so we don't get lot of
> >   tickets for that if that is okay with you guys? This will also include
> >   glib, pango, gtk+ and such.
>
> Sounds like a good plan overall, but for me I don't know which libraries
> go with Gnome.  For instance pango and gtk+ are in the section labelled
> X libraries.  I know these packages are also used outside of Gnome.
> Should there be a separate section, something like Gnome General Purpose
> Libraries?

 Today (with the state of mailman) is perhaps not a good day to
reply, but - I was going to reply to the ticket for gmime-2.6.10
until I saw it was being brought back to -dev, so

1. 2.6.1 gave me grief last year, it apparently needs gpgme, so I've
been happy to stick to 2.4.

2. One single ticket has shades of "one ticket to rule them all" ;-)
and as I think Randy said on the ticket - some of these packages are
used more widely than just in gnome.

ĸen