[blfs-dev] [BLFS Trac] #3413: CUPS 1.6.1

Tobias Gasser lfs at ebp-gasser.ch
Sat Aug 4 06:14:25 PDT 2012

Armin K. schrieb:

> Well, those are snapshots, and are always named after the current day,
> ie for today, package name is foomatic-db-4.0-20120803.tar.gz. There are
> also two files, foomatic-db-4.0-current.tar.gz and
> foomatic-db-current.tar.gz, which are possibly symlinks to
> date-versioned one. I guess we could use -current, but ... If some
> change occours, we might not be prepared. That's why I asked to have
> some snapshot on the servers and write and/or correct instructions for
> that one only.

i'd vote for using the original -current.

as these packages are just printer definitions, there is a very low
probability to have any issues with an update.

i'm used to update the db-packages quite often - whenever i want to
print from my laptop at a customer who has a printer which is not
available in my local copy. (as i have customers with printers not
supportet since 2 years or more, i quite often update the db hoping to
finally be able to use his printer. usually to no avail - i just have to
create a pdf and print from the customers windows machine...). i never
had any issues with updating (hopefully murphy is not reading!!).

as far as i understand, the currently installed printers won't be
affected by a db-update, as the definitions will be copied to the cups
directories while installing the printer and no automatic update on cups
will be done when updateing the db.

i remember when i first installed a customers printer in cups, there was
no way to activate the second paper feed (he has the plain paper in feed
2 and his ci-paper in feed 1). later i read somewhere the second feed is
supported now in a updated foomatic db. updating the db didn't help - i
had to remove the printer from cups an reinstall it in cups to get the
options for the second feed.

thus my thumb up for pointing to the -current and against a local copy.

tobias