[blfs-dev] [BLFS Trac] #3413: CUPS 1.6.1

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 3 14:59:57 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 10:49:40PM +0200, Armin K. wrote:

> Just curious, do you own USB printer? If so, do you build cups with
> libusb support or use usblp module. I do not understand the usblp stuff.
> I see many distros blacklist it or even they don't select it in their
> kernels in favour of libusb backend, which talks directly to usb
> printers. Which one would you recommend? Current instructions have
> libusb disabled by default with a note about usblp stuff.

 Yes, epson r360.  With usblp.  At times in the past, libusb has
apparently caused aggravation.  It isn't something I've ever needed
(I've a feeling I had to install it while merging Wayne's gnome-3.2
changes, but if so, I didn't print from that system).

 I believe in the kiss principle.  For what I'm doing (occasional
printing of text for letters or recipes, and infrequent printing of
photos with gutenprint), usblp works fine.

ĸen