[blfs-dev] [BLFS Trac] #3413: CUPS 1.6.1

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Fri Aug 3 13:49:40 PDT 2012

On 08/03/2012 10:42 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
>   As to the separate issue of using foomatic : we've managed without
> it until this year.  Earlier this year, someone reported that it
> fixed his problem, but then more recently someone else had a cups
> problem and I think eventually the fix was different.  I would
> prefer not to add foomatic until it can be shown to be required [
> possibly, that might mean that for certain printers it could be
> required - I use an epson inkjet with gutenprint, and for me it
> hasn't been necessary - long ago, I thought I would need it, but
> Alexander questioned that, and was right ].

 From my understanding, foomatic is just collection of ppd's (read:
drivers) for some printers. Depending on someone's hardware - one might
need it, while other not. I think it would be fair to support it, but
looking at CHANGES.txt, ppd API is being deprecated, and reading that
bug report, there was some talk about some other protocol that exposes
printer data to CUPS, thus not needing ppd's.

>   In my opinion, for those of us who build from source, upgrading
> cups may produce different results from a fresh install.  I'll be
> looking at cups-1.6 whenever I next make a fresh build,  But my own
> build of 1.5 is quite different from the book's (because I was not
> contributing when I went to 1.5), so YMMV.

Just curious, do you own USB printer? If so, do you build cups with
libusb support or use usblp module. I do not understand the usblp stuff.
I see many distros blacklist it or even they don't select it in their
kernels in favour of libusb backend, which talks directly to usb
printers. Which one would you recommend? Current instructions have
libusb disabled by default with a note about usblp stuff.