KDE4 commited

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 10 16:57:10 PST 2011

On 03/09/2011 02:41 PM, Thomas Trepl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while facing the possibility of being killed, hated and banned by all the
> other book maintainers

Had you considered adored or envied as opposed to killed and hated? :-)
It is a colossal accomplishment to add any complete desktop environment
to the book, even more so for one as large as the KDE distribution.
Thank you for doing this! Got a shiny new 6.8 build that will get to
test it out next week/weekend.
> I just commited a set of new pages with instructions
> for KDE4. I know the pages are full of textual insufficiences and I'm sure
> technical changes will happen.
> If there are great lacks (and I know there are some) in detailed descriptions
> or somewhere else, I hope we can work together to fill them. And I hope that
> the pages give a starting point where we all could work on to bring them to a
> level which is good enough for being a BLFS book page.
Still wrapping up with some changes in IcedTea, but I should have some
time this weekend for book development. I'll try and get a full proof
read of the text done with suggested changes submitted to you for review.
> Ah, yes, the KDE version. I know the 4.6.1 is out since a few days. The KDE
> project seems to often make new releases so i don't think its to bad being
> late with 4.6.1, next month there will be a 4.6.2 - so maybe upgrade directly
> to this one. Currently i write this mail on the KDE 4.6.0 installation which
> I've created while writing the pages and it works fine at all.
>
> What is missing is a section about the languge packs.
>
> --
> Thomas
>
> PS: I said in the ticket #2453 that my installation seems to be quite
> unstable, crashing from time to time. Sometimes in a reproducable manner. In
> the meanwhile, I'm pretty sure that it is an issue with the ATI driver.
> Switching off the desktop effects, switched off the crashes too.
Thanks again.

-- DJ Lucas