Variability in build times.

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 19 09:28:33 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 03:49:35PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  Thanks.  So, it's a uniprocessor problem.

 /me is still puzzled that my *original* builds of abiword on these
two machines (i.e. during the installation of my normal packages)
are faster than any of my repeats, but that's life.

 FWIW, my estimate for configure and make during the initial build
on the current system is around 595 seconds (full install was 618
seconds).  Today I've run configure and make 6 times with the same
settings.  For the first, I was watching something on xine, and
firefox (with gnash plugin available) was open. For the second,
firefox was open.  For the last 4 builds, only 3 urxvt terms (and
possibly a screensaver).

build	mm:ss	relative to baseline
0	11:48	+19%
1	11:32	+16%
2	10:29	+6%
3	11:17	+14%
4	10:43	+8%
5	10:11	+3%

 So, on the assumption that this variability is a uniprocessor
feature, I'll conclude that a lightly loaded desktop can have at
least a 15% range of build times.

 This range of variation *probably* only applies to complex builds
(lots of c++ and libtool) and is perhaps magnified by whatever
abiword does for its own 'dolt' versions of libtool and friends.
Thanks for all the helpful comments.

ĸen