Variability in build times.

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 19 07:47:44 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 02:18:47AM +0200, Uwe Düffert wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> > But, I'm only ever comparing times on the same system, and this
> > package (abiword) was almost at the end of my build, so the amount
> > of '/' used is almost the same (for me, /home is always a separate
> > filesystem - ok, I've probably extended the usage of /var/log - and
> > yes, updating the browser cache involves head movement, but such a
> > large variation ?
> No, that does not sound reasonable. Does that only happen with abiword or
> are there other examples (worth mentioning)?

 At the moment, this is the first package where I've *noticed* the
difference.  I left a script running overnight, but the script was
buggy.

> May be thats the reason: What about throtteling because of high
> temperature? Or running *something* in the background forcing task
> switches?

 I think some intel processors throttle because of temperature.
Mine (both machines) are athlon64.  Yes, task switching happens -
I've got 110 tasks at the moment (cc1plus, doltcompile, make - all
from abiword's build ], X, firefox-bin, icewm, rxvt-unicode, and the
normal system processes.

ĸen