NAS and rman

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 18 17:16:34 PDT 2010

On 10/17/2010 05:35 PM, William Immendorf wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>> Does anyone use NAS anymore?  How about rman?  Seem to be two packages
>> that can go now.  NAS has yet to be autotooled and it probably hasn't
>> built by the book in the past 2 years, and nobody has noticed.
> I don't use NAS. It's obsolete, and it can go. As for rman,

rman is only there for NAS.

> (and Imake
> and xorg-cf-files), I'd keep them, as you never know when you might
> run into an application using that build system (eg: Transfig/Xfig, in
> my case). Additionally, Imake is required for KDE 3 to build and
> configure.

Interesting. Imake and friends (gccmakedep, lndir, cf-files etc.) were
all removed about 2 years ago (or whenever 7.5 was released).

> As a side note, I'd like to see Xorg Server 1.9.0 in the book instead
> of 1.8.2. It's faster, and it handles the fontdir sensibly without
> sedding.

Little too bleeding edge for right now IMO, but should be a drop in
replacement along with the new drivers and libdrm-2.4.22.  Not always
faster either as we have seen on our own lists, though the fix I thought
would fix it, didn't.  Unknown if 1.8.2 is any better than 1.9.0.  When
7.6 is official, 1.9.x will be put into the book, shouldn't be too much
longer now, but I wanted something relatively current for interim
testing for Gnome (+ your bug for networking) and KDE 4 (and possibly
Trinity).

-- DJ Lucas