Variability in build times.

Uwe Düffert dueffert at uwe-dueffert.de
Mon Oct 18 17:14:41 PDT 2010

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Aleksandar Kuktin wrote:

>> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 01:12:50 +0200 (CEST)
>> Uwe Düffert <dueffert at uwe-dueffert.de> wrote:
>>
>> If thats the case then using an SSD should improve the relyability of
>> build times. I'll run a series of builds of the same package this
>> night (binutils as well for comparison) on a quite fast SSD and
>> report back.
> If you'll be comparing with my times, be advised that I changed my mind
> about binutils and will use glibc in order to minimise caching. The
> logic being that, since it is bigger, the main memory won't be able to
> stretch and encompass all the files. Maybe.
I stopped testing binutils anyway. All results were very close, just as I
was used to it for years. The difference between the slowest and the
fastest run was about 0.6% (3m04.095 vs 3m05.282 real time measured by
time), no matter what I was doing in the background (console only, 4850e
(dual core), only 1 core compiling). I'll run glibc next, but don't expect
much difference. May be we should all test abiword, but I don't usually
build it and probably quite a lot of its prerequisites neither...

Uwe