Variability in build times.

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 18 15:13:36 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 04:46:51PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I haven't looked at it in detail, but I think files in memory are kept
> around for a while until it's needed for something else.  About the only
> way to really get repeatability is to reboot between tries and that
> isn't realistic.

 That accords with what I thought.

> In any case, I use a script like the following one for each program.
> Installing the package on /tmp allows for repeatability in size, if not
> SBU time.
 For trial builds, I mostly use DESTDIR (or INSTALL_ROOT), so that I
can, if needed, compare what got installed with different options.
I don't normally bother with a script, just separately time the
various stages (unlike my own builds, which time from configure to
the end in whole seconds).  Then du -sk for both the source and the
installed files.  Nice script though.

ĸen