Xorg Fonts page - Make symlinks note

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 17 14:10:17 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 03:03:31PM -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:

> There is a minimum installation of bitmap fonts that the server
> requires, or at least there was.  IIRC, they weren't distributed by any
> of the font packages.  Look at the wiki page referenced in the book
> currently.  Alexander was the contributor of that information and he was
> (and likely still is) the resident everything i18n expert.

 At one time, the server had an option, I think it was
"--enable-builtin-fonts" or something like that.  It's gone in
xorg-7.5.  Until I've built gtk2 I use fluxbox (and xcalc, xclock) -
they certainly look as if they are using legacy fonts, but none are
installed.  So, I imagine that the server is providing them.

 I think Alexander is still an expert on this, but I'm not convinced
he is resident here any more.

ĸen