Xorg Fonts page - Make symlinks note

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 17 13:03:31 PDT 2010

On 10/17/2010 02:52 PM, linux fan wrote:
> On 10/17/10, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> [snip]
>>
>> Actually, following the above, the legacy fonts is one of the items I am
>> intending to leave alone until Xorg-7.6, but they will likely go at that
>> point unless somebody has a major objection.
>>

> When truetype fonts are not installed in a location that fontconfig
> can find them so as to prefer them, it will supply something out of
> {75,100}dpi or somewhere, and once, it couldn't find anything and
> crashed firefox. If there weren't any fonts al all, I wonder if the
> xserver would crash.

There is a minimum installation of bitmap fonts that the server
requires, or at least there was.  IIRC, they weren't distributed by any
of the font packages.  Look at the wiki page referenced in the book
currently.  Alexander was the contributor of that information and he was
(and likely still is) the resident everything i18n expert.

-- DJ Lucas