Xorg Fonts page - Make symlinks note

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 17 11:40:45 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 11:19:42AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >>
> >  I wonder why we still install the old fonts ?  I know that xcalc
> > can't show the square root symbol on its keypad without them, but
> > that's really a legacy app.  Maybe there are other legacy apps with
> > obscure glyph requirements that I'm not aware of.
>
> I ditched xcalc a long time ago in favor of galculator.  It uses 'sqrt'
> and other ascii characters instead of symbols.  Works like a HP
> calculator with options DEC-HEX-OCT-BIN, DEG-RAD-GRAD, and
> ALG-RPN-Formula.   The RPN mode is important to me.

 I hadn't heard of galculator, thanks for that.  I've been weaning
myself onto gcalctool, but that comes very late in my build which is
why I've kept xcalc for so long.

 Hmm, RPN - that takes me back:
[flashingcursor] 2 2 + .
4 OK

> I'd leave in the legacy font instructions, but with comments that it
> isn't really needed in most cases.

 No objections to that, nor to what dj said in his later post.  I'm
just trying to make things simpler for first-time builders.

ĸen