Xorg Fonts page - Make symlinks note

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 17 11:28:04 PDT 2010

On 10/17/2010 11:19 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 09:45:17AM -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:
>>> I'll be rewriting the x-setup and configuration sections over the next
>>> week, do you (or anybody else for that matter) have any additional
>>> suggestions as to layout ect?  Specific examples like the above are very
>>> helpful.
>>>
>>  I wonder why we still install the old fonts ?  I know that xcalc
>> can't show the square root symbol on its keypad without them, but
>> that's really a legacy app.  Maybe there are other legacy apps with
>> obscure glyph requirements that I'm not aware of.

Not that I'm aware of.  I'm still building with Xorg-7.5 in mind, and
the packages included in the book are based off of the original release
tarballs from 2 years ago or whatever it was.  When 7.6 goes official,
the list of packages will be updated accordingly.

> I ditched xcalc a long time ago in favor of galculator.  It uses 'sqrt'
> and other ascii characters instead of symbols.  Works like a HP
> calculator with options DEC-HEX-OCT-BIN, DEG-RAD-GRAD, and
> ALG-RPN-Formula.   The RPN mode is important to me.
>

> I'd leave in the legacy font instructions, but with comments that it
> isn't really needed in most cases.

Actually, following the above, the legacy fonts is one of the items I am
intending to leave alone until Xorg-7.6, but they will likely go at that
point unless somebody has a major objection.

Anyone have a real world example for the udev rules for input devices to
replace the hal examples?  I think Dan might have had one on the blog
entry if not.

-- DJ Lucas