Xorg Fonts page - Make symlinks note

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 09:19:42 PDT 2010

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 09:45:17AM -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:
>> I'll be rewriting the x-setup and configuration sections over the next
>> week, do you (or anybody else for that matter) have any additional
>> suggestions as to layout ect?  Specific examples like the above are very
>> helpful.
>>
>  I wonder why we still install the old fonts ?  I know that xcalc
> can't show the square root symbol on its keypad without them, but
> that's really a legacy app.  Maybe there are other legacy apps with
> obscure glyph requirements that I'm not aware of.

I ditched xcalc a long time ago in favor of galculator.  It uses 'sqrt'
and other ascii characters instead of symbols.  Works like a HP
calculator with options DEC-HEX-OCT-BIN, DEG-RAD-GRAD, and
ALG-RPN-Formula.   The RPN mode is important to me.

I'd leave in the legacy font instructions, but with comments that it
isn't really needed in most cases.