X-windows encodings directory (bug/nitpik)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 20:06:59 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:26 PM, linux fan <linuxscratch at gmail.com> wrote:
> encodings puts encodings directory in ${prefix}/share/fonts/X11 in all
> cases except for the completely unguessable --with-encodingsdir.
>
> It is supposed to first honor --with-fontrootdir.
> In the abscence of that, it is supposed to honor
> `$PKG_CONFIG --variable=fontrootdir fontutil`.
>
> But that is short circuited because of a variable enclosed in single
> quotes, so a sed is needed to fix:
> # BUG
> sed -i -e "\,ENCODINGSDIR=, s,',\",g" configure
>
> In any case, since encodings consults fontutil.pc, encodings should
> follow, and not precede font-util in the wget list.

The single quotes work because FONTROOTDIR is actually substituted in
the Makefile. If you change the single quotes to double quotes, you'll
just see one level of dereferencing in the configure output, but it'll
go to the same place.

If you build all the font packages with
--with-fontrootdir=/where/you/want/them, you'll get things how you
want. I just built the package (from git, though), and both
--with-encodingsdir=/foo and --with-fontrootdir=/bar worked as
expected.

--
Dan