Nvidia drivers and release candidate kernels

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 5 13:14:38 PDT 2010

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:03:10 -0400, jon <public at pitchblende.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is the second time I've had problems installing the proprietary
> NVIDIA (Geforce 8200) drivers after deciding to try an -rc
> kernel. Is this an ongoing issue? It seemed I'd found a solution a while
> ago but when I tried the /customized/ build of the drivers I had around
> it didn't solve the problem. Tried the latest:
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.53.run and got nowhere.

Well, I guess that's what you get for using closed-source binary blobs :-)

It's been ages since I've touched those particular bits, as I no longer
have an Nvidia card.  My only suggestion would be to try out the
nouveau drivers instead.  I don't know how feature-complete they are,
but at least if you run into trouble you can contact relevant
mailing lists for advice/fixes, and I'm sure they'd appreciate your
testing efforts.

The advantage is that they're in-tree (under Device Drivers ->
Staging drivers) so are more likely to be consistent with the rest of
the kernel code.  You may also want to build libdrm (see BLFS) and
have Xorg and other bits from BLFS that can utilise libdrm do so.

Regards,

Matt.