libffi conflicts with GCC Java

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 30 16:53:59 PST 2010

Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 11/30/10 18:18 CST:
> The java language in the GCC compiler set also installs a libffi.
> Unfortunately it is libffi.so.4.0.1. If you install GCC with the java
> language and you already had the libffi package installed with other
> programs and libraries linked to libffi.so.5, when the GCC overwrites
> it with libfffi.so.4, things will get ugly.

Actually, this is not true. If a package linked to the so.5 version of
libffi, it will always be linked to that version. As long as it exists,
things are okay. However, the .so file itself that points to either the
.so.4 or .so.5 (depending on which flavor of libffi) will be overwritten.
Does this present a problem if some packages are linked to one version
of libffi and other packages link to another version?

> What is the best way to mention this in the book? My thoughts are to
> put a note in the libffi package saying to the effect "If you have any
> thoughts at all about installing the java language from the GCC package,
> do not install this package, instead, install the GCC java now."

For now, I don't think anything needs to be added to the book unless we
know that having packages linked to both versions (some to one version,
others to the other version) is a conflict.

--
Randy

18:50:01 up 29 days, 1:44, 1 user, load average: 0.13, 0.05, 0.02