alsa-1.0.23

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 20:46:33 PST 2010

Has anyone tried alsa-1.0.23?

I built alsa-libs, alsa-plugins, alsa-utils, and alsa-tools, but when I
try to use aplay to test it, I get:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2109:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_empty.so

There are several libasound_module_*.so files, but no *pcm_empty.so

Hardware is a generic "Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller"

An older version of alsa did not have any problem with playing sounds
(but I could not get the microphone to work).

The problem may be that this particular system is using a quite old
kernel (2.6.22.5) and it's possible that alsa-1.0.23 is not compatible
with the older drivers in that kernel.

Any other ideas?