Discussion about a new BLFS release

Robert Xu robxu9 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 08:59:45 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 02:13, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On 11/21/2010 06:53 PM, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> DJ Lucas wrote these words on 11/21/10 17:52 CST:
>>> I'm using 20101117 version. Might be pushing it a bit, but I'm sure I'll
>>> wind up rebuilding anyway at some point. Next question is whether I
>>> should revisit the update to Xorg-7.6. I think I'm going to go ahead and
>>> push forward with it. A lot of people have been building against 1.9
>>> already with only one issue to speak of.
>>
>> I can say that what we have in the book right now (pixman must be updated
>> to support the version of Cairo I am going to update to) works great. If
>> you want to update, great. I'm ready to seriously think about a release
>> (without KDE), so do what you feel is best.
>>

> Actually, I was really wanting to get Trinity into the release, but I
> haven't used KDE in a *long* time. Might take me a bit to catch my
> bearings, but I imagine I could have my first build done by Tuesday or
> Wednesday evening. I don't expect the Xorg update to be too invasive.
> I'm also not expecting that Trinity will be all that different from
> KDE-3.5 as far as explanatory and descriptive text is concerned. At
> worst case, I can start on it. If it is not done by time for package
> freeze, then we can simply remove the entire section temporarily (as
> KDE, in its current state, does not build I'm told).

Nope. It does not.
FYI I have dependencies for a minimal Trinity in this order:

- tqtinterface
- arts
- kdelibs
- kdebase
- kdebindings

and then whatever you want after that.

As I mentioned before, you need autoconf 2.63 or lower to generate the
configure files... A real pain.

{
cp -Rp <path to your system's libtool.m4 file> admin/libtool.m4.in
cp -Rp <path to your system's ltmain.sh file> admin/ltmain.sh
make -f admin/Makefile.common
}

Someone is working on a cmake version, but it's not done yet.

I'm thinking, could we make like a temporary autoconf 2.63 installation in /opt?
That way we could set the PATH to it, use it to install Trinity, then
remove the directory in /opt.

You can find out more here:
http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/wiki/bin/view/Developers/HowToBuild

--