Discussion about a new BLFS release

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 21 23:13:08 PST 2010

On 11/21/2010 06:53 PM, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote these words on 11/21/10 17:52 CST:
>> I'm using 20101117 version. Might be pushing it a bit, but I'm sure I'll
>> wind up rebuilding anyway at some point. Next question is whether I
>> should revisit the update to Xorg-7.6. I think I'm going to go ahead and
>> push forward with it. A lot of people have been building against 1.9
>> already with only one issue to speak of.
>
> I can say that what we have in the book right now (pixman must be updated
> to support the version of Cairo I am going to update to) works great. If
> you want to update, great. I'm ready to seriously think about a release
> (without KDE), so do what you feel is best.

Actually, I was really wanting to get Trinity into the release, but I
haven't used KDE in a *long* time. Might take me a bit to catch my
bearings, but I imagine I could have my first build done by Tuesday or
Wednesday evening. I don't expect the Xorg update to be too invasive.
I'm also not expecting that Trinity will be all that different from
KDE-3.5 as far as explanatory and descriptive text is concerned. At
worst case, I can start on it. If it is not done by time for package
freeze, then we can simply remove the entire section temporarily (as
KDE, in its current state, does not build I'm told).

> If we are really ambitious, we could release another version with the
> new Xorg, new GNOME, and KDE4 right behind it.

I'm sure "right behind it" is relative to LFS release of 6.8 (KDE4 will
still be a monster no matter when that date is).

Do you have any ideas on a target date for 6.7 package freeze? It is a
bit of a minefield given the time of the year. Two weeks is bad for
those who celebrate Hanukkah. One month (which would normally be my
suggestion) puts us right into Christmas week. Three weeks seems a
little bit ambitious IMO, but puts us right between Hanukkah and Christmas.

If we look at 3 weeks for package freeze, we could potentially do an RC
between Christmas and New Years, or we could shoot for package freeze
the week after Christmas, or even push it back to the first week of the
new year. Figuring on the last, we are looking at RC in the third week
of January. How much time do we really need/want? Without KDE is
certainly doable too, and would focus my own time to other tasks (say,
for instance, the Gnome alternate prefix issues which I currently plan
to do on the slower of my two 32 bit systems).

-- DJ Lucas