Update to pixman?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 05:43:24 PST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Randy McMurchy
<randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to update the version of Cairo in the book to the most
> recent version. Unfortunately, this requires that the book's version
> of pixman must also be updated (0.18.4). Mostly directed to DJ and Dan
> N., would updating pixman cause any breakage in Xorg? Anyone else with
> pertinent information is welcome to reply.
>
> I cannot find anything that describes the changes in pixman from version
> to version. There is no NEWS files, or a ChangeLog file. Any help would
> be appreciated.

I think it should be fine. Most of the changes in pixman have been
optimizing for quite a while. However, you can test it fairly easily
just by firing up a desktop session. Since Xorg and cairo both use
pixman and it's not dependent on graphics hardware, you should know
pretty quickly if there were any catastrophic effects. On x86 and
x86_64, pixman should be really boring nowadays.

--
Dan