[Fwd: Why is OpenJPEG recommended for Poppler? (was Re: Some typos ...)]

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 15 13:16:41 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 02:23:07PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> This should be revisited, and an explanation should be provided why
> OpenJPEG is recommended. I'm copying BLFS-Dev so there is more exposure
> to the issue.

 I assume you haven't yet got to the stage of building poppler on
your new system.  When you do, it *will* build without this, but the
configure script will recommend it.  I too was surprised, until I
saw that output.  I'm still not using it in my own builds (I dropped
jasper a while ago, and open jpeg is similar), but in that example
the recommendation isn't even a matter of editorial judgement.

 In general, if editors are prepared to maintain their changes, I
don't have a problem with recommendations.

ĸen