[Fwd: Why is OpenJPEG recommended for Poppler? (was Re: Some typos ...)]

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 15 12:23:07 PST 2010

(copied from BLFS-Support)

William Immendorf wrote these words on 11/15/10 13:21 CST:

> Well, I personally think that x264 should go into the book mainly
> because if the book says that a dep is required or recommended, it has
> to be in the book.

Yes, this is typically the policy. Which package recommends x264?

> This is also why OpenJPEG should be in the book as
> well (it's listed as recommended for Poppler).

This is fairly recent, and to be honest I really don't see why it should
be recommended. I have just thoroughly examined everything in the newest
poppler tarball (0.14.5), and I cannot see anything that warrants OpenJPEG
to be recommended. If OpenJpeg is not installed on the system, poppler
simply uses an internal version of a JPEG-2000 decoder (not based on
OpenJPEG).

This should be revisited, and an explanation should be provided why
OpenJPEG is recommended. I'm copying BLFS-Dev so there is more exposure
to the issue.

--
Randy

14:21:00 up 13 days, 21:15, 1 user, load average: 0.16, 0.17, 0.09