qpopper - drop it ?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 20:06:50 PST 2010

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote these words on 11/09/10 14:27 CST:
>>  I'm looking at some of the less commonly used packages in BLFS (for
>> openssl-1.0.0a), of which I think qpopper is one.
>
> I have never built nor used that package. If nobody can provide a sound
> reason to keep it, I am in favor of its demise.

I probably put it originally in some time ago.  It was the only way I
knew at the time to pop email over an encrypted link (port 995).  I have
not used it in years as I now use gmail.  If I was setting up a mail
service today, I'd probably look at it first for pop3s capabilities.

I did not use it with xinetd.

I'm neutral on dropping it.