What D-Bus version should we target?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 18:01:53 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Randy McMurchy
<randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If our target for BLFS is LFS-6.7, what version of D-Bus should we
> put in the book? The BLFS book's version of D-Bus is way behind in
> version updates, but I know there is compatibility issues with the
> deprecation of HAL, etc.
>
> Does anyone (Dan, could you pitch in and help out in this discussion?)
> have a good handle on the state of D-Bus and HAL as it pertains to
> the LFS-6.7 book?

The tight coupling between D-Bus and HAL should be gone. HAL is in
compatibility mode and should work with any recent D-Bus. A lot of
apps have moved away from HAL but it'll still be needed in spots.

I haven't looked closely at D-Bus in a while. It's become pretty
stable over the years. You could definitely play it safe using 1.2.24
since 1.4.0 has only been out a month or so. I'm pretty sure most
distros have been using the 1.2 series for quite a while.

There was a hiccup in the 1.2 series where it was realized that there
were insecure default settings. A "permissive" branch was to keep the
unsafe defaults since it would require adjusting the configuration of
some buses or apps would stop working. I would expect that's been
smoothed out by now and you'd only want to use these releases to keep
compatibility with older apps. The whole story is pretty well spelled
out at the website.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus#Download

These should both be pretty benign now. I'd guess a bigger challenge
would be making sure all the apps that moved from HAL to udev will
operate with the udev in LFS-6.7. I worked on the HAL to udev
transition with Xorg and it was entirely painless as far as I could
tell.

Oh, then there's all the HAL to DeviceKit motion. I think this should
mostly be contained in gvfs and gnome-power-manager (and maybe
gnome-settings-daemon) when considering a GNOME stack.

--
Dan