Packate naming issue webkit-1.2.5.tar.gz

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 20:05:23 PDT 2010

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 11/05/10 19:08 CST:
>> The package tarball name is webkit-1.2.5.tar.gz, but the title in the
>> book is WebKitGTK+-1.2.5.  I think the name in the book should match the
>> name in the tarball.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what has made you come to this decision? For years,
> and to this day, both SleepyCat and Oracle call their product Berkeley DB
> yet the tarball is db-x.x.x.
>
> Is there any difference here? I suppose I'm trying to show you that the
> oddball packagename/tarballname combination has been in the book for years
> for many packages. Why are you just now thinking that it should be changed?

I was updating the package server and the missing file was
webkit-1.2.5.tar.gz, but I wasn't sure if WebKitGTK+ was the same thing
or not.  I'm not sure how the file is used.  I don't use that package.

It's not that big a deal.  It would be nice if package maintainers made
their file names consistent with their package names.  In the things
like SleepyCat, I'm sure the package name is maintained for historical
reasons.

In the case of webkit, why do they have to add GTK?  In the case of
webkit, there seems to be two different projects:

http://www.webkitgtk.org
http://webkit.org/

Why do they need to have this name conflict?  It's made worse by naming
the tarball something that conflicts with another legitimate project.