Discussion about a new BLFS release

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 5 10:18:36 PDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 11:23:02AM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> And what version should we target? I see there being two choices. Target
> for 6.7 and release as soon as we can. Or, target for 6.8 and coincide
> our release with the next LFS release.

 I'd prefer to target 6.7 and "as soon as we can".  From what I've
seen on the LFS changelogs, I think the current changes since 6.7
will only have a small impact on BLFS.  I assume 6.8 will have both
a newer gcc and a newer glibc, which might require everything to be
retested again.

 Overall -for the desktop- the gnome versions in the book are working
well with the other things I build.

 A recent make-3.82 issue on -support reminded me that libcanberra
needs to be updated.

 Of course, "as soon as we can" means we need to decide what to do
about kde.

ĸen